Monday, January 12, 2015

a transfer????after 6 weeks #10

Hey Momma,

I am doing well and guess what happened for the month of January, we looked at our food calendar (congregational dinner assignments) and there was only one day that someone did not sign up to feed us, then a day later a family from the ward called and asked if there was an empty day where they could feed us... so every single day in the month of January we have a dinner provided for us, isn't that crazy!!

The Assistants to the mission president called and they said I am being transferred tomorrow so... I’m being transferred... that was a shock to both Elder Hopkins and I and then we realized that... just kidding!!! They just dialed the wrong number! So I am not being transferred. gotchya didn't I (heh heh heh sorry, had to be done. I won't do that again.)

We did many a interesting things pertaining to missionary work, first was moving a bed from a hoarder who had not cleaned his house in... since he moved in so there were cobwebs reaching from the ceiling to the floor.... it was grody, there was a moldy solid bagel on the floor and I kicked it and it hit something within the house and dented it, either I should start playing soccer or that was a rock and not a bagel...

There are 4 people we are teaching who have come to church the last week and they all want to be baptized! the only thing is a few have to work on getting married because one is in a yearlong process of divorce ‘cuz in Virginia if there is a family and the parents want to get a divorce there is something along the lines of a waiting period to officially complete a divorce for custody issues and legal shanangans. I don't even want to know about.

Elder Hopkins and Elder Day Finding 
We then were coming home from church and we were both really hungry but I had this thought in my head that we should go check on a potential investigator and we went over there, knocked on their door and they said that we caught them just as they were about to leave but to come back around 6:30 that night. So we went home, ate, went finding some more, went to eat at a members house, went finding a bit more then stopped by the people we checked on and they said come in. Their names are Billy and Mary and honestly the best way i can describe those two amazing people is a couple who is (in their early 20's) always happy and as fun activities with each other play Mario kart and super mario galaxy and Nintendo type games. They are awesome, we discussed with them the Restoration of the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and they both felt the comfort and knowledge of the Holy Spirit to let them know the things we talked about were true and this was all for a reason. They also have the desire to be baptized and we felt it was an answer to our prayers and the prayers we felt from others for us.

We also went on member exchanges a lot this week (where we have a member of the congregation to come with us to a lesson). one of the people we taught with a member called me and my companion "the elder twins" and we got a good laugh, we talked with him more about the gospel and he decided that he was not interested and had little desire to read the Book of Mormon and Bible as well as come to church so he "dropped" us. But no worries, that doesn't stop our spirits because what we are doing and teaching is still true! We had 4 other "member present" lessons with each one being different then the other. One lady, Sharon, moved from Jamaica and two minutes before we knocked on her door she said a prayer to have a desire to come closer to God and Jesus Christ. We told her that we are here to Invite others to come unto Christ and she was glad to let us in! It was super crazy the things we had happen...

Elder Hopkins,Elder Olsen, Elder Nelson, and Elder Day
I cannot believe I have been out in "the Field" for more then 6 weeks. It has flown by way too fast and looking back the days are long but the weeks are short. I find it interesting how when we focus on things other then ourselves the day may seem different, but it becomes a shorter and shorter week or trial that we go through. My trials have mostly been waking up and staying awake all day but that’s about it and I’ve found ramen noodles and working out help me in the morning. Here is a photo of Elder Hopkins and me tracting and another photo of us and Elder Olsen and Elder Nelson, our zone leaders (Elder Nelson in the neon shirt is leaving tomorrow to go home).

The mission is the hardest and best experience I could ever possibly have at this time in my life and I am grateful for it every day.


Elder Day

No comments:

Post a Comment