November 23, 2015
-Has it really Been A Year?
-What were you doing today last year?
-Exchangin' it up!
-How 'bout them cars!
-Invitation of a forgotten gift (and Holiday for that matter)
For my Year Mark (on my mission) I decided to do two things.
1. Jump in a big pile of leaves for the first time in my life (that I can remember)
2. Help a member hollow out the inside of a tree trunk by burning it. He asked for some service so.... why not?
Yes, it has been (by the time you get this) more then a year since I have left on my Mission for Christ as a servant of His Will spreading the Truth. He has called a prophet to the earth in these latter days. Why is this so important? well, I truly didn't know until I asked God for myself and read the Bible to see why we needed a prophet or prophets for the people, then I read the Book of Mormon and understood further how modern revelation helps us be safe no matter what is going on. There are many people that I fell are praying for those in Paris and their families, we as a mission have been praying for them too. What has me keep hope in troubling times like these is that every one of us has the opportunity to be with our family again. Death is never the end of anything.
Surely The Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
What is that one secret God reveals to all those called of him? Ask him to figure it out.
What were you doing on this day last year? This time last year? last Week? Last Month? (if you can answer all of these questions then you are doing well so far, if not, start a journal because your memory is failing).
This past week we had an Exchange after our district meeting and I went to the Appomattox ward and switched with Elder Wolfersberger (try saying that 5 times fast) and went with Elder Walsh to visit and teach the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Elder Walsh had received aa referral to visit a lady that we decided to go see, except we didn't realize that it took 45 minutes to get to her house until halfway and when we realized we had a tire that was low on air. Oh, The glories of prayers, they really do work when we plead to God. It turned out the lady was in dire need of someone to give her a message of peace and what is more peaceful then the message of Jesus Christ and God Loving and wanting to care for us no matter what you may ask or do? Nothing.
Our Exchange (with other elders) was an enjoyable breather of learning new things and new ways to teach and find out more truths of God. plus it didn't hurt that Elder Walsh and I liked the same TV shows and video games and bands so we were able to nerd out there a bit with our conversation.
We had some car troubles for a few days again... Our car needed an inspection so we took it in to a local mechanic and when we got it back 5 more lights popped on that weren't there before so we thought "hmm.... this doesn't seem right...." so we took it back and it said "See Manual" and we found that it was because the new devices in our car had been messing with the car systems. The mission had installed a driver safety module in our car so when we unplugged it then plugged it back in, we had some prongs that were bent in the module...... we bent 'em back into place then the issue was fixed. Oh and the mechanic did a wonderful inspection and helped us out a bit with info and we were able to teach him a bit about our message as we were bending the prongs back. Good man he is.
This upcoming week is the time of Black Friday.... wait a minute, that’s not right, its Thanksgiving!!! The Forgotten Holiday!! Always consumed by consumerism and the winter festivities (The ones that I am thinking of are Hanukkah, Christmas, and possibly Kwanza)
I can tell you one thing from personal experience, unless you strive to seek things you are thankful for regularly, you will forget about them.
My mom challenged me many moons ago to keep a journal of one thing that you are grateful for every day. I took it to be something new and no repeats, which is really helpful and I have an invitation for you who reads this to share something new you are thankful for about every member of your immediate family from this point (11/23/2015) until the new year (1/1/2016) and share it with them every day before the night is out (you can choose who else to add on this if you feel so inclined, but Minimum is your immediate family and see rules and regulations below).
I will do the same, but due to my limited communications with my family on my mission, I am going to write them down and send a picture every week (ask them and keep me accountable!)
Rules and regulations for your/my thankful account…
1. No Repeats! under any reason, there is always more then one something good about someone from their voice, to their personality, to their big left toe.
2. Think Before You Speak. It must be specific. It Must be Genuine. None of this "I am thankful for you being a good person" none of this Generic I can Say to anyone stuff, if you are thankful for them being a "good person" or "nice" or for "their smile" tell them why with a legitimate non-vague reason. Brings more meaning and personalize it so the genuine kindness is better felt.
3. Try by all means to be able to say them vocally so the individual can hear and understand what is being said. None of this muttering under your breath bologna or having a written one be the excuse for not saying it vocally because you forgot or don't feel like it or some other reason.
4. Let them know that you will be complimenting them and, if necessary, set aside a time to have it done by and if you forget, well then, say two the next day. Good way to remember is write down what you said so you won't repeat it and you know you said it. Plus if you forget, its a double dose of kindness!
5. Take the compliment with thanks and don't deflect it.
6. Don't get mad if they don't take the compliment the way you hoped. When the comment of praise and gratitude is genuine, it should not be deflected or thought of in any other way and if it is, you have done your part so no worries.
7. Why Stop? You Got This, If you think you have run out of things to say just take 4 words of advice "Look Back and Think"
8. Do not Do This Because You Have To. The last thing that I or anyone in existence wants is a begrudging compliment said to "check it off". we as people should never be treated as a checklist item on any accounts of the word when coming to something as personal as something as this.
9. I do recognize that some individuals may have strenuous or broken relations with individuals of their family, if you can, try to follow the rules above, but if doing so will strain even greater the relations you may have, use the judgement God has given you and decide what to do from there. Again, I am not requesting you to do this, this is of your own choice and as such rules can be adjusted as need be.
( Rules 1 and 2 Can not be changed, neither can rule #5 or 6)